Business & Service Employee (BASE) Pass Program
Purpose: To provide a discounted gate pass for employees working at least 20 hours per week for an establishment that is within the Chautauqua Institution grounds, but is not an employee of the Institution. In 2022, the Institution will offer two options for commercial on-grounds business owners: A Traditional Gate Pass (TGP includes general admission seating for Amphitheater programs) OR a specially discounted Grounds Access Pass.
There are two Business & Service Employee (BASE) Gate Pass options, based on the employee’s summer residence. Chautauqua Institution reserves the right to require proof of summer residency.
BASE TGP Non-Caregiver $465: Intended for employees who reside on the grounds at any time during the season. This gate pass includes Amphitheater eligibility. Note: If the worker is between the ages of 13–25, the season youth gate pass is a lower cost option. Rear lot parking is free and available upon request.
BASE TGP Caregiver $250: Intended for CAREGIVER employees who reside on the grounds at any time during the season. This gate pass includes Amphitheater eligibility. This is the only option for employees who reside on the grounds. Note: If the worker is between the ages of 13–25, the season youth gate pass is a lower cost option. Rear lot parking is free and available upon request.
BASE GAP $25: Intended for employees who reside off grounds. Does not include entry to the Amphitheater; cannot be upgraded to the residential gate pass. Note: If the employer is purchasing this pass and the worker is between the ages of 13–25, the gate pass can be upgraded to a full season youth gate pass by paying the additional cost (paid by either the employee or employer). Rear lot parking is free and available upon request.
Establishment means an establishment which is conducted by an individual, family, partnership, or corporation that hires employees on the grounds during the Chautauqua season.
- Business: Rental property owner with 10 or more units, restaurant or retail store. Business owners must purchase one full season pass. Parking: Can purchase up to two front lot season parking spaces, which is the same price as Main Lot season parking.
- Services: Eligible employees include those working for a non-profit organization or non-profit business, denominational house, household services when employed by a guest (limited to nannies, groundskeeper, housekeepers and caregivers).
Employee means a person who works at least 20 hours per week and receives regular wages (i.e. works every week) and whose wages are subject to federal and/or state payroll taxes.
- Verification of payment of regular wages through the submission of either:
- Federal form 941 (Employer’s quarterly federal tax return); or
- New York State form NYS-45 (Quarterly Combined Withholding, Wage Reporting, and Unemployment Insurance Return).
Failure to submit one of these forms in a timely manner will result in the enterprise being billed for the full price of the gate pass.
- Family members of a business owner who do not meet the conditions listed above do not qualify.
- The owner of the business must purchase at least one adult season Traditional Gate Pass OR Grounds Access Pass prior to applying for the BASE Pass program. (Denominational Houses fulfill this requirement through Board Member pass purchase). BASE pass holders are not eligible for a commercial hangtag.
- The recipient of the BASE pass must have a new photo taken each year at the Ticket Office before the pass can be issued. The BASE gate pass for a nursing assistant or nanny must be for the same time period as the employer’s gate pass.
- There are no refunds or pro-rated prices for the BASE pass. If employment ends before the BASE pass expires the pass shall be voided and will not be pro-rated or refunded. The employer or organization is responsible for obtaining and returning the employee’s BASE pass to the Ticket Office.
- If the individual is replaced with a new employee, the pass can be exchanged for a new BASE pass for a $10 processing fee.
- Failure to comply with BASE Pass Policies will result in the loss of program eligibility.
- The BASE pass must be paid in full before it can be issued. There are no refunds or pro-rated prices for the BASE pass.
The form below (Apply Online) will accommodate the entry of up to 25 employees. If you have more than 25 employees to enter, contact the Ticket Office at email@example.com or 716-357-6250.