Opera in the Schools
Classroom visits for Grade 4-5, whole school performance for Pre-K–6.
School Visit Dates: May 8–12, 15–19
Students get the chance to discover their inner opera star in this interactive, engaging introduction to opera for the whole elementary school. This program has two parts.
- For four Grade 4-5 classrooms: Teaching artists visit each classroom, presenting a 45-minute lesson that integrates music and social emotional skill development through music-making. Students will also get to try out their opera singing skills as they play “So You Think You’re Louder Than an Opera Singer,” with one student earning the chance to be featured in the whole school performance!
- For the whole elementary school: The Chautauqua Opera Company presents “Bear Hug/Abraso de Oso” by Anna Young. This bilingual, 45-minute opera explores how our differences make the world a better place, and that kindness can bring us all together, even in the toughest of times.
This program will be funded in part by schools through the Erie 2 BOCES Arts in Education Co-Ser program. Contact Suzanne Fassett-Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org for fee structure details. Space is still available – please contact Suzanne Fassett-Wright if you’d like your school to participate.
Chautauqua Arts Education is proud to share that the following schools will be served with this program during the 2022-23 school year:
- Brocton Elementary School in Brocton, NY
- Chautauqua Lake Elementary School in Mayville, NY
- Dunkirk School #5 in Dunkirk, NY
- Fredonia Elementary School in Fredonia, NY
- Lincoln Elementary, Love Elementary and Ring Elementary in the Jamestown Public Schools
- Pine Valley Elementary School in South Dayton, NY
- Ripley Elementary School in Ripley, NY
- Southwestern Elementary School in Lakewood, NY
- Temple Elementary School in the Falconer Central School District
Generous support for this program has been provided by:
Greater Washington Community Foundation
Director of Arts Education
Chautauqua Institution Performing and Visual Arts Office
1 Ames Ave.
Chautauqua, NY 14722
fax: (716) 357-9014
Chautauqua Opera Invades Southwestern SchoolThe Post-Journal, June 9, 2018
Chautauqua ‘Opera Invasions’ Set To Visit Area Schools
The Post-Journal, June 6, 2019