Phase 1 – Writing a Play
- One 30-minute assembly for all 3rd and 4th grade students where actors act out plays and engage students in improvisation
- One 60-minute in-class teaching session where teaching artists introduce the art of playwriting through interactive games and full class demonstrations of the playwriting process
- One 20-minute video, presented in 3-4 minute sections, that guides the teacher and student through the playwriting process, step-by-step
- Digital Student Packets and Teacher’s Guides, compatible with Google Classroom that can also be printed as PDF’s
- At the end of this phase, teachers submit student plays to Chautauqua Institution for Phases 2 and 3.
Phase 2 – Reading the Plays
One 90-minute session where community members visit your classroom – either on Zoom, or in-person, to read and act out your students’ plays.
Phase 3 – Field Trip: Seeing the Plays
Will take place in mid-June, 2023.
Students are invited to visit Chautauqua Institution for an entire day that includes:
- Viewing a select number of plays from all those submitted after Phase 1
- Experiencing other activities on-grounds, including STEM or Literary Arts, Recreation and a Mindfulness Moment
- Eating your sack lunch by Chautauqua Lake or anywhere on grounds, enjoying the day here!